Description: This is an important discussion on specific federal regulation governing disclosures of confidential information concerning persons receiving substance abuse services, including adults, adolescents, and criminal justice clients. The course covers 42 C.F.R., section 290, Part 2, which sets forth the purpose, scope, rules, and exceptions of protecting the confidentiality of patient identifying information for patients receiving services for substance abuse and alcohol misuse. Participants will learn the definition of patient identifying information, the practitioners, and programs for which the law applies, specific exceptions and applicable conditions, the relationship of Federal regulation to state law, and much, much more. This course is a very important for all counseling professionals especially licensed practitioners regardless of specialty or type of practice.
1. Participants will be able to define the following terms and conditions as per 42 C.F.R. Part 2 (patient identifying information, patient, a program, medical emergency, good cause, qualified service organization/agreement (QSO, QSOA)).
2. Participants will be able to identify two specific purposes of the Federal confidentiality regulations.
3. Participants will be able to describe who are holders, seekers, and recipients of patient identifying information.
4. Participants will be able to describe the specific prohibition of disclosure of patient identifying information as specified in 42 C.F.R.
5. Participants will be able to identify ten exceptions to the confidentiality prohibitions defined in 42 C.F.R.
6. Participants will be able to discuss the various exceptions that may be applied in the instance of infectious and communicable disease.
7. Participants will be able to discuss the special differences when implementing confidentiality requirements with adolescents.
8. Participants will be able to discuss the special differences when implementing confidentiality requirements with criminal justice patients.
CE Credits: 4
Hour One: History of 42 C.F.R., Purpose and scope.
Hour Two: General provisions of the rule exceptions.
Hour Three: Re-disclosure prohibition, Restrictions on use of disclosed information; Communicable diseases.
Hour Four: Adolescent substance abuse clients and confidentiality, Criminal justice clients and confidentiality.
CE Broker#: HS 20-193035 OL 20-193036
Methods: Pre-test, study guide, posttest and evaluation, internet sources via URLs, Q&A by email.
Content Area: Documentation/ treatment planning, Professional orientation/ readiness, Confidentiality, Risk management, Ethics.
Purpose: This course will equip practitioners to follow 42 C.F.R. regarding confidentiality provisions for substance abuse clients.
Target Audience: Psychologists, school psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, licensed professional counselors, mental health counselors, nurses, employee assistance professionals, addiction professionals, behavioral health technicians, and other allied professionals.
Program Services Continuing Education is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Program Services Continuing Education maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Program Services is an NBCC Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program. #5978
Social Work State Licensing Board Approval Information for Continuing Education- Accepts Program Services Credits- Accepts our national approvals Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, Accepts other state SW boards Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia Cross-disciplinary, no specified requirements/limitations or self- submit after the fact Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Maine, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Wyoming, New Mexico Does not approve Program Services credits Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana
National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) #86395
Florida Board of Nursing FBN #2456 CEBroker provider # 50-1651
Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Mental Health Counseling: BAP #162 CEBroker provider # 50-1651
Florida Board of Psychology. BAP#162 CEBroker provider # 50-1651
Florida Office of School Psychology. BAP#162 CEBroker provider # 50-1651
Florida Certification Board, Inc. #159A
Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners #0339
Allied profession approvals can be found at https://www.programservices.org/approvals?other=true